Persuasive speech refers to a particular type of speech in which the speaker has the objective of persuading the audience to accept his or her perspective. The first step is to get an appropriate topic for the speech. It should be in an area that you understand and which your audience can relate to. Consequently, it is important to know the audience before agreeing to present the speech. Furthermore, this will enable the speaker to anticipate objections to his ideas and to address them so that it is a balanced presentation.
The second step involves setting a goal. This is informed by what the speaker wants the audience to do. For example, a politician would want the audience to vote for him or her. The third step is to ensure that the speech is localized. The speaker should use local examples whenever possible. This is because human beings are prone to care if the issue being discussed is something they can relate to. Fourth, the speech should evoke empathy. Moreover, it should be backed by evidence. Therefore, the speaker should ensure that they use credible and relevant sources.
Fifth, the speech should address the other side of the argument. This will not only make it balanced, but will also add value to the speech by enabling the speaker to strike down opposing ideas. Lastly, having gathered all the material required for the speech, the speaker should select the structure of the speech. The structure should be deliberately chosen to ensure it suits the topic, audience and purpose of the speech.
We can help you write your “type of paper”
Persuasive speeches can be made interesting by the use of rhetorical questions to provoke the audience to think about the ideas being presented. Furthermore, the audience will appreciate an honest presentation of ideas. In addition, the use of a statistics will add weight to the speech. Moreover, the infusion of light humor will entertain the guests.
However, persuasive speech writing presents a number of difficulties. First, the speaker must ensure that they present a balanced argument without undermining their point of view. Second, the audience may be unresponsive to the speech. Third, the speaker has to strike a balance between presenting an insufficient speech and a long one which would bore the audience. Furthermore, the speaker has to ensure that they do not alienate the audience even as they present their genuine perspective on the subject.
The following is a list of possible persuasive writing topics:
- Marijuana should be legalized.
- Television promotes violence in children.
- Meat consumption is harmful to human health.
- The manufacture of cigarettes should be outlawed.
- There should be stronger limits on immigration.
- The American democratic system is broken.
- Abortion should be legalized.
- The voting age should be reduced to 16 years.
- Traditional books are better than eBooks.
- Whistle blowers who disclose NSA and CIA secrets should not be discriminated.
- Gun ownership should be banned.
- Space tours should be discouraged.
- Every student should be forced to learn how to code.
- American football should be banned in colleges.
- Bloggers should be regulated.
- Hunting should be outlawed to protect indigenous species.
- Sports salaries should be capped.
- Politicians’ pay should be tied to economic growth.
- Patients and their families should have a right to choose eunthanasia.
- Drug addicts should be sent to hospitals rather than prisons.
- The capitalist system is broken.
- The Myers Briggs test is not a valid measurement of personalities.
- The tax system is broken.
- Nuclear power is better than other renewable energy sources.
- The death penalty should be abolished.
- Patents inhibit rather than protect innovation.
- There should be a compulsory youth service for all high school graduates before they join college.
- Elders over the age of 65 should be banned from voting.
- Voting should be made compulsory.
- America should adopt an isolationist policy.
- The sale of video games to children should be prohibited.
- There should be a plan for the internet.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
- Single parents should be allowed to adopt children.
- Surrogate motherhood should be outlawed.
- Grocery stores should be forced to ensure GMO products are labeled as such.
- Religious organizations should pay taxes.
- The estate tax should be broken.
- Universal health care coverage should be made compulsory for everyone.
- Each Board of Directors should be forced to have 30% female representation.
- The United Nation is an efficient means of solving international crises.
- Developed countries should bear the cost of combating climate change.
- The Fast food industry is accountable for the high obesity rates in society.
- The war on drugs is a failure.
- The war on terrorism is a failure.
- The expenditure on the military should be capped.
- Students should be subject to mandatory drug and pregnancy tests.
- Freedom of speech is more important than the security of the State.
- The Supreme Court is a tool of partisan ideologies rather than an instrument of justice.
- Unpaid internships are slave labor.